Dr. Goel has lived in Southern New Jersey for more than 35 years. He graduated from Cherry Hill High School East in 1989, and earned a B.A. in Ethics, Politics and Economics from Yale University in 1993. He earned his medical degree (M.D.) from the UMDNJ - Robert Wood Johnson Medical School in 1997. He completed his internship at the Cooper Health System in 1998 and his ophthalmology residency at the Greater Baltimore Medical Center in 2001. Dr. Goel completed an Advanced Refractive Surgery (LASIK) course with pioneers of refractive surgery at the world-renowned Dr. Agarwal's Eye Hospital in Chennai, India.
Dr. Goel is board certified by the American Board of Ophthalmology. He is a fellow of the American Academy of Ophthalmology (AAO), and a member of the American Medical Association (AMA). He is a Clinical Instructor at the Wills Eye Institute and a member of the Wills Eye Surgical Network.
Dr. Goel was a member of the American Academy of Ophthalmology's Young Ophthalmologist Committee (2002-2006), Leadership Development Program (2003-2004) and Revitalization Study Group (2007). He is a former Trustee of the Medical Society of New Jersey (1995-96), Colony Foundation (1994-1999), and Robert Wood Johnson Medical School Alumni Association. He is a Past President of the New Jersey Academy of Ophthalmology (2009).
In February 2004, Dr. Goel presented "Complications of Laser Surgery" at an American Academy of Ophthalmology and VETs Act Coalition symposium at the US Capitol in Washington, DC. In June 2007, he was a co-moderator on a leadership and professionalism symposium held during the Joint Congress of the European Society of Ophthalmology and the American Academy of Ophthalmology in Vienna, Austria.
Dr. Goel is a recipient of the AMA Foundation Excellence in Medicine Leadership Award (2007), the American Academy of Ophthalmology Achievement Award (2007) and Secretariat Award (2007).
Dr. Goel is a Past Chair of the AMA - Young Physicians Section (2010 - 2011). He is a member of the American Academy of Ophthalmology's AMA Section Council, and is the AAO's representative to the International Council of Ophthalmology Advocacy Group.
Dr. Goel is a member of the Eyenet Magazine Editorial Advisory Board, American Academy of Ophthalmology Marketing Task Force (2012) and the American Academy of Ophthalmic Executives (AAOE) Practice Management for Physicians Task Force (2012).
In May 2012, Governor Chris Christie appointed Dr. Goel to the New Jersey Governors School Board of Overseers.
Dr. Goel is the recipient of Top Doc Awards from South Jersey Magazine (2011, 2012) and SJ Magazine (2011).
In the News
1. Webinar: "Protect Your Online Reputation" Dr. Goel co-hosts a 1-hour webinar with Reputation.com global leader Polly Wood. American Academy of Ophthalmic Executives (AAOE, September 2012, link)
2. Ophthalmology Times: "All Eyes on Capitol Hill" (May 2012, link)
3. CNN Health: "Daughter turning eye inward worries mom" (August 2010, CNN.com)
4. American Academy of Ophthalmology: "New to Practice Guide to Meeting" (August 2010, link)
5. CNN Health: "Why do I need bifocals?" (January 2010, CNN.com)
6. EyeNet (November 2009, pdf). Dr. Goel recognized for Ophthalmology Volunteerism
7. President Obama's AMA Address (June 2009): Forbes article.
8. EyeNet (October 2007, pdf). Dr. Goel interviewed on Medicine for the Uninsured Patient.
9. American Academy of Ophthalmology Achievement Award (pdf) and Secretariat Award (pdf).
10. AMA Voice (July 2007, pdf). Dr. Goel interviewed on protecting Medicare patient access.
11. EyeNet (March 2006, pdf) Dr Goel interviewed on building an ophthalmology practice.
12. American Academy of Ophthalmology Leadership Development Program (2004).
Watch Dr. Goel's Cataract Educational Videos on YouTube:
Part I - Intraocular Lens Options
Part II - Cataract Surgery Informed Consent
Part III - Alcon Restor
Part IV - Alcon Toric
Part V - Live Cataract Surgery (Patient Friendly)
Part VI - Visual Acuity after Alcon Restor Example 1
Part VII - Visual Acuity after Alcon Restor Example 2